Building 46 Email and Slack
BCS and Building 46 Email Lists
BCS uses email lists on the MIT Mailman platform for official building-wide communications about events and policies, as well as messages to subgroups based on role or constituency. Use the list below to determine which list is appropriate for you, and click the list name to reach a page with information on how to subscribe or send a message to the list. Please use your MIT email address to subscribe or send to a list; requests from non-MIT addresses will not be approved.
- bcs-admin-support-staff: Lab managers, administrative assistants, and other non-scientific staff
- bcs-faculty: Faculty with an appointment in BCS, senior research staff, and other PIs
- bcs-grads: Graduate students enrolled in the BCS Ph.D. and M.Eng. programs
- bcs-nonbcsgrads: Graduate students from other programs who are working in Building 46 labs
- bcs-postdocs: Postdocs in labs headed by "bcs-only" faculty (i.e., faculty not affiliated with the McGovern or Picower institutes)
- building46-postdocs: All postdocs in Building 46
- bcs-research-staff: Technicians, research scientists, and other scientific staff in Building 46
- bcs-visitors: Visiting students
- bcs_undergrads: Undergraduates enrolled in Course 9 or Course 6-9
- bcshq_staff: Administrative staff for the department
- bcs-faculty-assistants: Administrative assistants to Building 46 faculty
- bcs_srsstaff: PIs who do not have faculty appointments in BCS
McGovern and Picower also each have organizational email lists. Contact their respective HQs to be added to those lists.
BCS-all is the list used to reach the entire community. It is an umbrella list which relays messages to all of the lists above as well as the McGovern and Picower lists. Do not request a subscription to bcs-all. Instead, click the link for the list above that best matches you and request a subscription to that list.
To submit a post to bcs-all, email email@example.com. Messages to bcs-all should be related to departmental policy, programs, or events, and of interest to multiple parts of the BCS community. BCS-all is moderated, and nearly all posts are approved by a human staff member, which means there is likely to be a delay between when you send a message and when it is relayed to the list, especially outside normal working hours. If the moderator does not approve your submission, they should contact you to explain why.
BCS-Talks Email List
People who are not based in Building 46 but want to know about upcoming talks can join the BCS-talks email list by submitting a request here. If you are already on one of the BCS email lists above, you do not need to join this email list.
The MIT Building 46 Slack workspace (mit-bldg46.slack.com) is provided to share and discuss information on professional, scientific, and related social topics which support MIT’s mission, for the benefit of those who work in the entities headquartered in Building 46. It was created to provide and foster a sense of community and inclusion among the building’s occupants in order to advance their collective and individual success as researchers, students and staff in a safe and supportive environment.
The Building 46 Slack is managed jointly as an official channel of the Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, McGovern Institute, and Picower Institute. The primary moderators are each unit’s communications officer.
Note that many official communications will still be distributed primarily by email. This workspace is not a substitute for that channel.
Users are expected to abide by a code of conduct.